Sister Shirley told us to specify on our paperwork that Sister Tomlinson had
requested us, and that would flag our application in the
missionary department. Somehow it felt like we were cheating a bit by talking directly to the missionary department and "flagging" our mission application. I wanted
very much to feel sure that our call came through divine inspiration, and was not simply what we requested. I mentioned this concern to some folks at the missionary department and they explained how things work.
I really loved Elder Rasband's description of how the Apostles assign missionaries. But in conversation with the missionary department, I learned the rest of the story. (This is just the way I understand it. Please don't accept this as gospel.) After the Stake President submits the application, it goes to the missionary department where it is passed around the missionary committee, which, I gather, is composed of people from all the different missionary departments. There are many, family history being one. Each of the departments looks at the application to determine if the candidate looks like a good match for their needs. In our case, Sister Tomlinson was already waiting for our application to come. Several departments might end up requesting the same couple. Once this round is done, the application goes to a committee of the Seventy who prioritize the various requests. (I confess to wondering what would happen if none of the first committee was interested in our application.) After the requests are prioritized, the application goes to the Quorum of the Twelve, where Elder Rasband's story begins. One of the Apostles sees the application on a computer screen along with the requests and recommendations from the previous committees. At that point he gives all the other information due consideration and then makes an assignment according to whatever the Lord inspires.
I believe the Lord prepared us to make the decision we did about records preservation, just as we teach our children and give them hints from time to time, but still are anxious for them to choose the right things on their own. I believe that in this case our will was the same as the Lord's, and I find that a very peaceful, joyful thought.
No comments:
Post a Comment